I’m really excited to release the final hat pattern from my Hats All Day trio! Sundown was available on Ravelry yesterday. But yesterday got crazy, so you’re getting this post today…
As with the first two this PDF is $5.
The ebook containing all 3 patterns is $9, and you can find the complete Hats All Day collection here.
When Sunup went live this hat was hot off the needles, and the pattern was a collection of scribbled notes. I’m so very proud to say I finished it on schedule, although I couldn’t have done it all without my tech editor, Margot’s, help. Not to mention all the support Neil provides, helping with Windsor and packing lunches so I can finish writing up patterns.
This hat is inspired by the billowing, glowing clouds of sunset. I really wanted to capture some during the photo shoot. But I realized that even if I got lucky to have a good sunset when I had time to take the pictures – that it’d be much too dark for anyone to see the hat well. Some things just don’t work in real life the way they might in our imaginations.
Turns out moon photography is hard (right? there I go stating the obvious again) I think last night’s photos would have been better with the kit lens that came with my camera, because a little zoom might have helped. Instead I used the 50mm lens because I thought I needed to let a lot of light in – because night is dark. Makes sense, except that the moon wasn’t dark last night, and it was just a white disc in all the pictures.
Since the harvest moon is (by definition) at the horizon right at sunset, and sunrise, I had another chance this morning:
The added sunlight filling the predawn sky actually balanced the moon pretty well.
These still aren’t perfect, I could have had a better plan, or spent more time composing them. But for photos taken jumping out of the car during my commute to work they came out pretty well!
The second of my little hat collection is ready for you today! Sunhigh is available to favorite, queue, and download on Ravelry.
The PDF so you can knit your own is just $5.
The eBook, Hats All Day, is $9 – and will contain all three hats from this collection. The PDF will be updated again next week when the third hat comes out.
This hat was designed a bit on the fly. I made it back in July while 110% of my brain power was directed toward finishing the book. Whic means that my note taking was abysmal. My tech editor, Margot, deserves extra credit for sticking with this one and not just telling me to come back once I had my act together.
But I hope you’ll agree the results are worth it! A blossoming cable travels up the side of this hat. And the scrunchy crown is made simply by eliminating the even rows between the decrease rows in a standard hat crown.
A final note, the yarn I chose (out of my stash) for this hat is a discontinued merino/cashmere blend. I’m recommending knitpicks Capra as a substitute. The main features of this yarn are:
made up of many smaller plies
excellent stitch definition
So if you’re subbing in something else look for good stitch definition in a multi-plied yarn. And as always, check your gauge.
I’ve released a new hat pattern today! Sunup is finally available! As always find it on Ravelry to favorite and queue it.
The PDF to knit your own Sunup is $5.
The hat will also be part of my Hats All Day ebook which will be available for $9. It will contain this hat, as well as the two I’m hoping to release later this month!
I say “finally” because I knit this hat back in February. The photos were taken on a morning that was so cold I couldn’t get my car to start… But the pattern has been waiting until I had time to polish it and set it free. I’m so very glad that time has come!
I hope you’ll see this hat as “just in time for fall” and not extraordinarily late… This is the first of three hats I’m hoping to publish this month, assuming all goes according to plan.
Sunup is knit out of Dirty Water Dyeworks Edna yarn (if you’re paying attention, you may recognize it as the leftovers from Boyden) This lovely hat works up quickly since it’s mostly stockinette. Just the seed stitch and cable are present to keep the knitting interesting.
I’ve made another batch of freezer jam. This time I used blueberries we picked earlier this month. But then we went camping, and they got squished in the cooler. So I tossed them into the freezer for “later.”
I’m glad later came this month, instead of next year! Again I just made up the recipe. Apparently having a baby makes me even MORE unable to follow directions… I mixed the blueberries and sugar: three cups of each. And then I let them sit in the fridge for a week. (I swear, I’m not doing this every time on purpose) Finally I cooked them down, tossed in some pectin, and some sage. That last bit was Neil’s idea – and it’s brilliant! Sage complements the blueberries perfectly, earthy and just a little green bitterness to counteract the sweet, fruity blueberry. I used 1.5 tsp for the 3 cups of berries and I highly recommend it! But possibly you should follow an actual recipe. This jam is delightful, but it never quite set up…
Little Miss is suddenly very mobile! She’s started crawling and pulling up in the last two weeks – and suddenly my long-term habit of leaving my knitting project in a basket (bag, box, pile…) on the floor by the couch is not working. Her little fingers can undo a neatly wound hank or ball of yarn faster than I can react.
A solution was needed, something to get the yarn up, off the ground.
Turns out that old fruit basket is perfect!