One* good thing has come from the daylight savings jump. The light when I get home after work is just perfect for photo shoots. With the light dusting of snow we got the other day I decided I wasn’t going to get a nicer looking (mud is rarely pretty) late-spring chance.
But this wasn’t a photo shoot for a new pattern. Instead it’s the first of a series of older patterns I need to re-shoot. The photos for La Moelle were taken two cameras ago, and the resolution is lousy. At least one or two of them may actually have been old cell phone photos – from before the days of a 5MP camera in your smart phone.
Along with the new camera I got last fall and the nice tripod my mom gave me over the winter there’s one more thing that’s pushed me into this. Neil** and I got a copy of Adobe Creative Suite. So now I can do crazy things, like adjust the lighting, swap the colors, or make the whole photo look old.
But the ability to just make the photos look much nicer – without looking edited – is my favorite bit.
Now I’m beginning to teach myself a little Illustrator (for things like header graphics and schematics) and after that there will be some In Design. I know I could hire a professional for this, but I’ve always enjoyed the layout portion of making my patterns and I have enough of an artistic streak to want to make my own graphics. I also have friends with lots of creative suite experience that I can call up and say “HEEEELP!!” if I need to. One of my major goals for 2011 will be to get all my older patterns re-formatted, re-photographed, and even re-knit if necessary. So stay tuned for some re-release announcements.
*I’m still getting up in the dark, so I’m still unhappy about the change.
**Neil’s a student – that helped a LOT.