The long weekend gave me a great chance to get started on my boyden cardi. Once I was done with all that math I cast on and knit the ribbing with no issues. But the cables have been giving me trouble. If by that you understand I mean I keep screwing up and have no one but myself to blame – and I’d rather blame the cables. First, I couldn’t read my own chart:
Granted that it’s a hand drawn chart with quite a bit of editing… But still. See how there are clearly THREE stitch boxes between the cables? And see how I’ve carefully made FOUR hatch marks underneath to indicate four stitches? Yeah, clearly that’s the cable’s fault. Luckily I noticed after just 2 rows (204 stitches each) And I’m pretty proficient at dropping down and fixing a single mis-crossed cable with a crochet hook. But this isn’t just a mis-crossed cable. This is a misplaced 1 to 5 stitch increase. That’s a lot of extra yarn to try and smudge around without making it look gross and loopy. So I TINKED BACK two rows (408 stitches total) to place the increase correctly.
Then I really got flying. Yesterday afternoon I was admiring my beautiful cables. Aren’t they pretty? And look how they travel across the stockinette background! So graceful. Then I got to thinking about how they’d swoop up to the shoulder, past the neck bind off, and meet the cables from the back of the sweater so they look like they swoop back down… Waitaminute… The neck bind off… There are what? 17 stitches that get bound off for the neck edge (check my notes – yes, yes there are) and there are only 9 stitches between the cable panel and the front of the sweater (yes, this is also true)
CRAP! My bind off is going to cut into these cables!
It’s not even like I misplaced the cable panel by 1 or 2 stitches. If that were the case I could do a little creative m1 and k2tog work and nudge the cable over. Correct the mistake in the final pattern and no one would ever know. Nope, I’m off by EIGHT freakin’ stitches. I had to RIP THE WHOLE THING. Last night I fortified with a good homebrew, and ripped over 3000 stitches so I’m back to the ribbing*. Then I realized I’d left my chart at work, gave up, and knit something else for the evening.
I’ll get started with a Properly Placed cable chart tomorrow, thankyouverymuch.
*At least I can now report that this polworth yarn (Edna from Dirty Water Dyeworks) frogs beautifully! The yarn has held up really well to all this abuse…