Sometimes my sewing projects go perfectly, sometimes they don’t. This is one of those times. I have a plain white t-shirt. It’s a hand-off from Neil who won’t wear it because of the V-neck.
I won’t wear it because it has no shape. Well, cylindrical is a shape, so what I mean is it has no shaping. So I’ve seen enough t-shirt mods on the internet. I have sewing skills. I figure I ought to be able to fix this problem.
I started by making a deeper V-neck, and then trimming that with some ribbon. I trimmed it because I don’t really like the “hey, I can cut this knit fabric and let it roll and it doesn’t unravel” mentality of t-shirt mods. It’ll unravel eventually. Do you really want to slap that kind of a short life expectancy on your project?
I knew I wanted to make this shirt fitted under the bust. I figured I could gather the fabric and create some ruching. I knew I’d want the bust fabric gathered center front, and the torso fabric gathers more spread out. You can almost see what I was aiming for here:
So I pinned and measured carefully. Then cut the fabric. Next I ran some thread loosely through the raw edges. I thought I wanted the gathers to fall naturally so I just kinds spread them out evenly in their designated sections, pinned everything, and sewed the edges back together with a zig-zag stitch.
And the gathers didn’t naturally spread themselves out. Nope. The “centered” ruching is awkwardly focused to one side of center and makes me look horribly lop-sided. No, I didn’t take a picture for you. I need to get my seam ripper out and try again with WAY MORE PINS. Lesson learned (again): more pins are always more-better.