Monthly Archives: August 2014

Blueberry Sage jam

I’ve made another batch of freezer jam. This time I used blueberries we picked earlier this month. But then we went camping, and they got squished in the cooler. So I tossed them into the freezer for “later.”

blueberry jam 1

I’m glad later came this month, instead of next year! Again I just made up the recipe. Apparently having a baby makes me even MORE unable to follow directions… I mixed the blueberries and sugar: three cups of each. And then I let them sit in the fridge for a week. (I swear, I’m not doing this every time on purpose) Finally I cooked them down, tossed in some pectin, and some sage. That last bit was Neil’s idea – and it’s brilliant! Sage complements the blueberries perfectly, earthy and just a little green bitterness to counteract the sweet, fruity blueberry. I used 1.5 tsp for the 3 cups of berries and I highly recommend it! But possibly you should follow an actual recipe. This jam is delightful, but it never quite set up…

blueberry jam 2

Advertisements
Image

Drying out

drying covers

hung up

Little Miss is suddenly very mobile! She’s started crawling and pulling up in the last two weeks – and suddenly my long-term habit of leaving my knitting project in a basket (bag, box, pile…) on the floor by the couch is not working. Her little fingers can undo a neatly wound hank or ball of yarn faster than I can react.

A solution was needed, something to get the yarn up, off the ground.

hanging yarn

Turns out that old fruit basket is perfect!

Image

sun beam

jakie

hats in progress

The book is in Cooperative Press’s capable hands now! That’s not to say I’m all done- not by a long shot. But I’m mostly done with writing, editing, and drawing charts. It didn’t take me long to decide on my next project either. I’m working on a trio of hats!

hat yarns

Actually, I’ve been working on them for awhile, behind the scenes. The brown hat was knit last winter and the purple hat was the thing on the needles when I was spending all my computer time on that book (ok, just one of the things) The gray hat is my current project! Each hat has a unique cable running through a panel of seed stitch. The rest of the hat is plain stockinette, making the whole project fun without being overwhelming.

As with all my indie designs I’m hoping for a fast turn around on these beauties, with any luck (and the cooperation of a baby) they’ll be released in September, just in time for autumn knitting! Each pattern will be available individually, and I’m also planning to collect them into an e-book. If you’ve signed up for my newsletter you’ll get word the moment they’re released AND a coupon code for a release week sale!

If you’re not signed up yet, please do! Just click here to find the signup form. I promise never to misuse your info. I’ll just be sending monthly knitterly goodness.

Slippers

My “new” slippers have worn out soles. Ravelry shows the problem – they’re not actually new… Appears they were new back in December of 2012… I thought I knew the options – knit new soles, needle felt over the holes, buy some leather soles and sew them on. But I wanted the cushiness of wool, and the speed of sewing. So when I found these wool boot liners in a local store I had the perfect solution:

fixing slippers

The patch is easy and quick, and I have one and a half slippers done already.. But I’m not quick enough, because my little helper gets into EVERYTHING these days…

crafting issues

Image

meanwhile in the garden

drying garlic

Image

too busy for photography…

final days