My moonflower rug is finally finished! I love how squishy it is (as do my cats.) I love the colors and the feel of it makes me smile when I get out of bed in the morning. Which is helpful because getting out of bed is NOT my favorite part of my day.
It’s not perfect. The second two flowers are much more warped than the first two. I think if my first had come out that lumpy I’d have figured out something was wrong and I needed to be knitting 6 petals, not 5. But there’s no frogging a felted project, and also I won’t be trying again because this put a serious dent in my colorful fiber collection (which was part of the goal.)
So I have a slightly uneven bedside rug. Life goes on, but now with warmer feet! And maybe after a year of my cats sleeping on it some of the wrinkles will be smoothed out.
(And yes, I should have gotten out the good camera for this FO photo shoot. But when I can’t even get daylight photos I start to get lazy…)
I’ve been knitting away slowly on my moonflower rug, and I thought for sure I’d have a new Finished Object to share this week. I finished knitting the 4th flower, I even added a diamond to the edge of one petal to fill the gap in the center. While it was felting I admitted to myself that if I planned a 5th the rug might never be finished. I’ve also used up most of the colored fibers I chose for this project and was left with mostly brown and white.
So that just leave the seaming, right?
I got this far into seaming before I admitted the last petal overlaps badly with one of the other flowers. I can manage a great deal of denial when it comes to floppy felted sewing.
So I had to rip all that out, and detach the flower tile before it, as well. I figured I must’ve attached it in the wrong spot to have everything line up that poorly.
But now I that might not be the problem either. I think that flowers with 5 petals instead of 6 just don’t tesselate properly. So if you’re planning to work this pattern please knit 6 petals per flower like the directions tell you to!
Me? I’m going to fudge things. I can’t exactly frog now that everything is felted. And I don’t want all that gorgeous fiber going to waste. The rug is pinned now, and it mostly works. Some of those petals will never lie flat. But it’s a rug, not a sweater. I’ll survive.
(also? Yes, the 4th flower is significantly smaller than the first. Felting is never consistent for me.)
I admit the inside of my shower stall is not usually a very blog-worthy place. But I just got a new shelf, with some unusual residents.
Aren’t they beautiful?! I did a fair bit of reading before picking these guys. They’re all part or full shade plants which like wet soil, or are epiphytes.
They’re right on eye level, but out of the way. And the shelf sticks to the wall with adhesive clips which claim to be non-damaging.
These beauties make me very happy. Let’s just hope I can keep them from dying…
Here’s a baked breakfast dish I (sort of) made up myself! It started with a King Arthur recipe for baked french toast with apples, and a comment that adding sausage might be good too.
From there I made the logical assumption it needed cheese too. Obviously.
French Toast Ingredients
- 1 day old baguette
- 8 eggs
- 2C milk
- 1/3C sugar
- 1Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4tsp nutmeg
- 1/4tsp salt
- 5 apples
- 1Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4C sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1-2C shredded cheddar cheese
Cook and drain the sausage.
Slice the bread and lay it in the bottom of a 9×12 baking dish. Mix all the other french toast ingredients and pour over the bread. Let it soak in while you prep everything else.
Preheat the oven to 375F. Peel and slice the apples. Toss with the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
Spread the cooked sausage over the bread. Layer the apples evenly over the sausage.
Cook for 35 minutes, remove briefly to sprinkle cheese over everything and return to oven. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Eat while piping hot!