The poor chickens have been all cooped up this winter. Well, I don’t think they think they’re “poor” because if you open the door for them to come outside they look at you like you’re crazy*.
But last week their coop got a little less, um, cooping? Coop-like? What I’m trying to say is the door blew apart on a windy week day night. And the short days combined with the day job means the poor birds had no door for 3 days straight. Every morning I’d hear the rooster crowing as I went to my car and I’d be thankful that a fox hadn’t gotten them all overnight.
So this weekend, during naptime, we made a new door.
This is a rustic “barn board” door that Neil and I agreed some hipster would probably pay good money to have. But for us, it’s something we could slap together entirely with supplies we have on hand. The rough cut 1×4’s and 1×6’s are cheap lumber we have left over after fixing the roof last summer.
Neil had to literally dig the lumber out of a snow bank with a shovel. Then we had to scrape ice off the sides to get it to lie flat so we could line everything up. And let’s not forget that we had to take 1″ off the width at to bottom because the amateurs who built our coop (oh yeah, that’d be us) didn’t quite frame the door square… I like to pick on us, but mostly I’m proud we built this thing 7 years ago and it hasn’t fallen over or blown down yet!
It was a cold, blustery way to spend our saturday afternoon. Although it was better than the sleet we had on sunday. At least by then the chickens had a new door, so their deep layer shavings stayed fluffy and dry. And after building a whole door from scratch we did feel pretty accomplished!
*ok, chickens don’t have the brain power for that. But they DO look at the snow like it’s an alien substance that they’d rather not touch, thankyouverymuch.